Friday, June 3, 2011

Stephen's Suggestions 6/4/2011

Things to occupy your time. This suggestions contains the first entry in my summer of burgers. A short review of a burger I was able to devour this week. As always enjoy!

SUMMER OF BURGERS: Fajita Burger. Original Ninfa's on Navigation. My buddies and I have deemed this the summer of burgers. We will be partaking in some of the best burgers Houston has to offer over the course of the summer. If you haven't heard, our amazing city was ranked #1 in the country for burgers http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-burger-cities/1. We didn't even place on the recent Amazon list of most well-read cities, but really people what's important? EXACTLY......burgers. We decided to begin our tour with this non-traditional entry from one of the legendary Houston landmarks. The best way I can describe the fajita burger is to take everything you love about Mexican culture in one hand, everything you love about being an American in the other, and mash the two up into a cheese topped patty of deliciousness. Then you can appreciate the $9.99 fajita burger. Add all you can eat tortilla chips and the best green salsa in town and the pricey burger is much easier to stomach. I highly recommend you try this burger.

SPORTS: NBA Finals. That just happened. Yep I still have no idea how, but Dallas evened the series up on Thursday night. The Heat were doing their best Globetrotters impression by dunking from every conceivable angle, while the Mavericks dutifully performed their role as the defense lacking Washington Generals. Then just as I was going to go to bed the Heat inexplicably decided to stay out of the lane and jack up about 10 threes in a row. Dirk started doing his thing, and the Mavericks bench found out they really are better than 8 dead guys. Before I knew it Dirk made a lefty lay up while being guarded by Chris Bosh (are you serious Spoelstra?) and the series was tied. I have never seen a game that didn't involve Frank Reich turn around faster than that. Sunday's game 3 is now must see TV. Will the Heat realize they could have ran Dallas off the floor and put them away? Will the Heat feel mounting pressure from the choke job and start gripping? Will Jeff Van Gundy or Mark Jackson french kiss Lebron directly in front of Mark Cuban? I can't wait to see the answers to these questions.



Kevin McHale. Welcome the big Frankenstein to Houston. A lot of fans have been complaining about the Rockets new coach, but I am fairly ambivalent. As I said on my Twitter feed, coaches usually get too much blame(Stan Van Gundy) or receive too much credit(Phil Jackson). If Kevin gets great players the Rockets will most likely win. If he doesn't have an upgraded roster then we will be middle of the pack again. I will say McHale's press conference showed that he is a likable guy who the players should respond to. His previous teams enjoyed playing for him, and he should be good for some great quotes throughout the season. Rockets fans should be much more concerned with what Morey is going to do with all the pieces he has accumulated to bring a star player to Houston. Plus with McHale on the sidelines we will constantly be reminded of the 1981 NBA Finals......wait uh oh.

WEATHER: Heatpocalypse Now. Welcome back Houston heat. While we are busy watching the Miami Heat in the Finals, the actual heat has made an early return to our great city. On Thursday we hit 100*, setting a record high and marking the earliest recorded triple digit temp on record. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to be a hot summer. However, I don't want to hear any complaining! We get great weather during the winter months, and I wouldn't trade our summers for a northeast winter. Houston has a plethora of pools to cool off in, so go swimming! As a coworker of mine once said, "I'm on the tanning diet. When you get a tan, you immediately look 10 lbs. lighter." - Tell me that's not brilliant advice. If you're a redhead? Sorry. Eating less works great too.

Those are my suggestions for the week. Take 'em or leave 'em.

1 comment: