Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stephen's Suggestions 6/21/2011

Midweek Summer special edition. Back again with a foursome that would make the U.S. Open jealous.



MOVIES: Super 8. Caught this flick last weekend and thought it was a lot of fun. If you grew up between 1977-1989 I have to think you would at least get a kick out of seeing this movie. It was Stand by Me wrapped in E.T. with some Goonies on the top. Just like those great flicks it was really more about the kids than the alien, monster, or mysterious dead body. A welcome throwback picture in a Summer full of poo poo platters like The Green Lantern, Pirates 4, and a movie I would only see if you held my family hostage and the only way I could get them back was to sit through 2 hours of torture ......... Transformers 3. I will admit the last 1/3 of the movie fell a little flat for me, but you could do A LOT worse at the theatre this Summer. Solid film. Go see it and let me know what you think.

ENTERTAINMENT: Netflix. Just signed up for Netflix this month. I know, "Congratulations for joining the 21st century Stephen." This service is probably the best value you can get for $7.99 a month. Right now we're going back and watching the first season of Parks and Rec, (for my money the best comedy on TV right now) since we came to the Pawnee party late. I'm also plowing through Friday Night Lights, a show I am amazed I never watched. It features 3 of my favorite things in life 1. Texas 2. Football and 3. Texas HS Football. The show is spectacular and Coach Taylor is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in television history. Now that The Killing Lebron Jamesed me in the finale, it's nice to be able to fire up some great television at will. I will say the only drawback is finding out that many selections are only available via the $2 mail upgrade. Seriously Netflix, it's not so much the $2 but the idea of having to use an antiquated service like the U.S . Mail when I can just click and start watching. Check it out. If you need some suggestions for what to watch read some of the excellent reviews of TV shows at apedonkey.com, those guys do a great job reviewing television.


Will Rockets draft pick look something like this?
SPORTS: NBA DRAFT. Thursday night. What's more awkward than watching uptight David Stern shaking hands with dozens of inner city brothers and socially inept foreigners? Watching him do it as he is simultaneously freaking out over an impending lockout. With the lack of top level talent in this year's draft, we could see a new standard set for unintentional comedy. The Rockets once again were neither great or terrible, so they are stuck in draft purgatory at #14. Daryl Morey is said to be on the phones looking to make a deal (PLEASE not Josh Smith). So it should be a lot of fun to see if the Rockets can move up or trade for an established player. Worst case scenario: they stay at #14 and draft some foreign dude with a name like Stepvanovich who smokes 3 packs of cigs a day and rocks a Euro-mullet. Welcome to the 2011 NBA(Bizarro World), where Dirk Nowitzki reigns supreme over Lebron and Dwade.

PARENTING: Helicopter Parents. My final suggestion this week is in reflection of Father's Day and this story about a Little League Mom in New York who sent threatening letters and falsely accused child molestation after her son was not picked for the traveling all star team. Pitiful. Parents, let your children do their thing. It's summer, let them be kids. In this season of AAU sports, remember that your kids are still just that......kids. 9 out of 10 times you are wrong. They are your children and therefore it is impossible to look at them objectively. When they do face hardships....GREAT. You know what is worse than being 13 and not picked for your sports team? Being 22 and unable to deal with the real world because your parents always sheltered you and made you think the entire Earth revolves around you.

Those are my suggestions for the week. Take 'em or leave 'em.

2 comments:

  1. Netflix does turn around those DVDs by mail pretty quickly. I could live off of Watch Instantly and HBO GO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I have heard it is easy. Just can't be as quick and instantly gratifying as point and click. With a 3yr old and 2 mth old I never know when my TV viewing will happen.

    ReplyDelete