Friday, April 8, 2011

Stephen's Suggestions 4/9/11

          Here's the first of what I hope will be a regular blog entry where I give you a few things I'm currently digging on. Whether it's television, movies, sports, or events going on, I'll give you some suggestions to fill all that free time that we're all looking to fill up.




TV: If you didn't watch The Killing on AMC last week, don't worry they're replaying it 900 times before episode 2 airs on Sunday. Seriously, if you love good drama you should check this show out. AMC has figured out a way to do a crime drama without inserting dopey puns, or employing any has been actors like David Caruso or Forrest Whittaker. The show contains some great cinematography. It has characters that you care about only one episode in, and most importantly it creates a mood and atmosphere that envelops the viewer. AMC brought us my favorite show of last year, The Walking Dead, and now it looks like they may have created another can't miss drama.
      Another TV show I am looking forward to this week is The Office. In the interest of full disclosure, I admit to being a HUGE fan of this show. It is the only television show I own every season of on dvd. As most fans know Steve Carell is leaving the show this season, and this week's episode brings in a new character played by Will Ferrell. I am reserving my judgement until after Thursday's episode, but let me just say that as a big fan I have been pleasantly surprised this season. After a few less than stellar seasons, I feel like this season has been the best in several years (probably due to a cutback on the whole Jim/Pam married thing). I hope the transition away from Michael Scott will be successful, but lets just say I am cautiously pessimistic.


BOOKS: Working at a junior high school I hear about all kinds of young adult books. Occasionally, I will read a young adult book and mildly enjoy it, but almost always feel it would be more enjoyable if I were 13 years old and had no common sense. Our librarian recently asked me to check out The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I am on the second book right now and completely hooked. I would have never known it was a young adult book.  It's the story of a young girl who lives in a government controlled country where most citizens live in poverty. She is chosen to participate in a fight to the death survivor-style television show, an entertainment outlet for the rich, and the books follow her journey through the contest and the fallout afterward. Think 1984 mixed with some V for Vendetta. Trust me these books are good.

MOBILE: Many of us now have smart phones with 1000's of apps to entertain us while waiting at the DMV. Most of these apps are puzzles,games, or juvenile pranks that can waste hours of your time. My favorite app is the You Version Bible app. We get our inspirational words from so many places now a days (email, facebook, twitter, tv pastors, calendars, etc.) but why not have the ultimate inspirational message always at hand. Instead of playing 20 more minutes of angry birds, you could spend some time reading in proverbs how those birds could become slightly less perturbed. The best part........you basically get every version of the Bible known to man for free.
         Those are my suggestions for the week. Take 'em or leave 'em.

1 comment:

  1. Watched The Killing. Great characters. Should be interesting.
    Can't wait for The Office!!!

    ReplyDelete